A Slice of Cantilan: Libtong, Rock Gem and Ayoke



(This is part one of my Mindanao Tour that had me covered over 1000 kms. of the Pan-Philippine Highway System.)

I just had a sudden affection for solo travel. It brought in me a certain kind of excitement-not knowing what to expect and doing things alone. My goal is to explore some of the least explored places in the country and to let other people know that there are packets of gems in every corner of the country waiting to be uncovered. This purpose brought me to Cantilan, a small and laid back town in the eastern seaboard of Mindandao. Several miles east of Cantilan is the island of Siargao. 

I landed  in Surigao City at 8 AM. I wasted no time and boarded a cab from the airport going to the Surigao Bus Terminal. I boarded a van going to Tandag. I told the driver to drop me off in Cantilan. 

I arrived in Cantilan at around 12 noon. A part of CARCANMADCARLAN, one of the oldest settlements in Mindanao, Cantilan has been in existence since 1709. 

My contact, a very fine Cantilan local, gave me a bit of a tour of their town plaza while waiting for the boat that would take me to Libtong, Rock Gem, and Ayoke. Sir Brendo is a reliable contact person who made sure that I'd be able to make the most of my stay in Cantilan. He gave out bits and pieces of their local history. I found out that he also teaches surfing to youngsters in his town during his free time. His contact information is found at the bottom of this page should you want to get in touch. 

These are some pictures taken at the Cantilan town plaza. The first picture is an old Philippine Airforce plane mounted on a pedestal. It was put up by an air force general who settled in Cantilan. 

The picture on the left is of a monument to honor World War II veterans from the area. The last picture below is the municipal building called Tribunal. It depicts a hispanic influence that is still prevalent all throughout the archipelago. 

Despite its pretty laidback character, Cantilan is home to two institutions of higher learning namely, the Paulinian administered St. Michael's College and Surigao del Sur State University Cantilan Campus. There are also a number of academys and learning centers  to cater to the areas's educational needs. 


Cantilan's tourism industry is in its infancy stage. It has yet to capture the attention of the mass market travellers. The place is pretty much a niche travel destination. Its visitors are mostly backpackers and foreign surfers from nearby Siargao who wants to get away from the crowded  Cloud 9-Siargao's premiere surfing spot. 

We embarked on our  trip to Ayoke Island at around 1 PM. The boat ride proves to be an arduous one as we ride through Cantilan's tricky waters.  Despite that, I am incapable of saying to to these. This is Libtong Cove. It is almost identical to the Siargao's Sugba Lagoon minus the crowd. This is absolutely a great place for solitude and uninterrupted musings. 





After an hour and a few jumps from Libtong's diving board, we moved on to the next stop-Rock Gem Island. This is just another hidden treasure that Cantilan is in store. This island could put everything at a complete stand still. Time is not of the essence here. You just want to immerse yourself to your surrounding, listen to the waves, feel the sand on your feet and just do nothing at all. And, I had this place all to myself. 





Our final stop is Ayoke Island. Ayoke has one of Cantilan's finest surfing spots. It also has a vibrant local surfing community.  Ayoke is definitely a sweet spot for those who want to hone their surfing skills. It may not be as famous as Siargao when it comes to surfing but its waves cannot be underestimated. It is perfect for beginners too. 





Aside from its majestic waves, one could not held but be captivated by the genuine kindness and hospitality of the people. When we were about to leave, locals told me that the next time I visit I have to stay. This is one of the greatest take-aways when travelling. These are things that could not be expressed by the thousand photographs that one can take.  The ability  to experience humanity at its finest. I would like to thank the locals of Ayoke for their kindness and hospitality and to my guide, Mr. Brendo Torejos for bringing me to to island. 

I would have wanted to stay but as I had an early trip for Britania the next day, Mr. Torejos suggested we just had to go back to the mainland that same day. So, we brave an hour trip back to the mainland. It was quite an adventure as the waves were a lot more ferocious this time and we had to navigate sans the aid of sunlight. Lucky for us, we were able to reached the town soaking wet but safe. I stayed the night in Cantilan. Mr. Torejos also tends a house owned by a certain foreigner and fortunately he let me stay in one of the rooms for only P300.00. 

Satisfied of all the things I have accomplished that day, I slept safe and sound. That was day 1, March 24, 2018. 

#thewanderingsavant

If you are interested, please contact Brendo Torejos - 0938-766-9948

Expenses: 

Surigao City - Cantilan Van Fare - 170
Boat Rental             - 1500.00
Room                      -   300.00
Libtong Docking Fee - 250.00
Total - Php 2, 220.00

Comments

Giovanni Carlo said…
I never thought that there is also other place to surf aside from Siargao
Giovanni Carlo said…
I forget to mention also the rock formation is beautiful they are jet black in coloration
pagadian city

Popular Posts

Sagada

BenCab Museum