I am back!

Time flies fast! It seems like yesterday when I started to blog. Six months and twenty-eight articles later, in July, my momentum had come to a halt. For the past two months, I partially cut myself off from the rest of the worldwide web. I did not even take the pains of updating my social networks. I was then a passive observer of everything that has been happening around.

However, my seemingly passive track was stopped by a series of events, unfortunate or otherwise. The events that greeted us in this early part of the month are quite unnerving. Domestic and international events are quite in synch with each other, in their capacity to shake us.


In London, for one, riotous protesters take over the streets and shops and no one seems to be able to stopped them, not even UK's Prime Minister. Protests sparked after a policeman reportedly shot a gangster dead. It would be easy to blame gangsterism for what is happening, but there are reasons for this violence that run deeper than that. There is now a growing dissatisfaction in the United Kingdom over government's decision to cut spending for public services. This and the rising unemployment rate are fueling tensions that threaten to envelop the rest of England. 


The Unites States has its own share of worries. Situation in the US's financial system remains volatile after a credit downgrade from Standards and Poors. As a result, yesterday, Wall Street had its worst day since the 2008 financial meltdown. This is happening as Democrat and Republican lawmakers are debating on what to do in order to salvage their ailing financial system. 


In the home front, Senator Miguel Zubiri, shocked the nation with his resignation. I used the word "shock" to describe how I perceive his resignation. Seldom do we find a scandal-ridden public official in the Philippines who steps down. More often, any accusation is met with defiance and denial. But, Miguel Zubiri is a rarity in Philippine politics. 


Anyhow, the saga continues as the current administration pursues its quest to shed light in the many corruption scandals that rock the previous administration. A lot of things have unravelled so far. I am just hoping that all these investigations would not go to waste and that people who were involved would really be indicted.  I know most of us are looking forward to see them serving their time in jail. Only then we'd be able to say that in the Philippines, crime does pay. 


I think this month forward would be a very exciting one, wherever we  may be. There is more to come. SO, hang on their.



Comments

Popular Posts

A Slice of Cantilan: Libtong, Rock Gem and Ayoke

Sagada

BenCab Museum